St John's College Trust Board
The St John's College Trust Board is a Trust that provides for education with the Anglican Church of Aotearoa, New Zealand and Polynesia.
The Trust was established in 1859 by Bishop George Augustus Selwyn who purchased 1330 acres in what is now commonly known as St Johns Auckland. On this land was erected the College of St John the Evangelist, which continues in operation on this same site today. The balance of the land was held as an endowment for the purpose of funding the College.
Over the intervening years the fortunes of the Trust and College waxed and waned. However, after many years of existing in the wilderness sufficiently isolated from the undesirable attractions of the city, the wealth of the Trust expanded as the boundaries of the City of Auckland met and then expanded beyond the Trust's lands.
In 1972, with the fortunes of the Trust having benefited from the subdivision and sale of lands, the St John's College Trusts Act was passed in order to broaden the charitable purposes of the Trust.
Today the Trust is the principle funder and provider of education within the Anglican Church in Aotearoa, New Zealand and Polynesia.
The purpose of this website is to provide the Trust's many stakeholders updates on the activities of the Trust.